Your First Visit is FREE

Sign up now

Toxic Ingestion

Toxic Ingestion for Pets

Danforth Animal Hospital is your veterinarian for Edmond, Guthrie, and Oklahoma City. We want you to call us immediately if you suspect your pet has been poisoned. Here are some things every pet parent needs to know about a toxic ingestion.


Many Common Household Items Are Toxic to Pets

Dogs can suffer toxic reactions to many kinds of foods that are perfectly OK for humans. These include previously mentioned chocolate, macadamia nuts, coffee, raisins, grapes, garlic, onions, alcohol, avocados, and marijuana edibles. All these foods can cause severe reactions in adult dogs and life-threatening illness in puppies.

Cats can have bad reactions to common flowers and houseplants. Not just Easter lilies but all kinds of Lilies and all parts of Lilies can poison cats. So, can azaleas, rhododendrons, dieffenbachias, castor beans, milkweeds, and cycad palms.

Chewing gum, vitamin pills (especially vitamin D0, prescription medications, rat and mouse poisons, antifreeze, bug sprays, and household cleaners are all potentially toxic to your pets. It is important not to leave them out where your pets can find them, and to wipe up spills — especially of antifreeze — before your pets can find them. 

Here Are Some Symptoms to Look For

When your pet starts throwing up, a strong possibility is that they swallowed something toxic. Bleeding from the nose, eyes, ears, or anus when there's a possibility that they have been exposed to rodenticides almost certainly means they have been poisoned. Other warning signs of pet toxic exposure include:

  • Collapse, especially in kittens, puppies, and other young animals, can result from toxic ingestion.
  • Drooling. When this occurs along with rolling eyes, twitching, and either lethargy or frantic, erratic behavior, exposure to a neurotoxin, such as an insecticide, is a possibility.
  • Sometimes bad breath is a sign of toxic exposure. Toxins that result in liver damage can cause your pet to have breath that smells of ammonia.
  • Too much thirst and too much urination, as well as no thirst and no urination, can be signs of kidney poisons
  • Black sticky bowel movements can occur after exposure to substances that cause internal bleeding.

If you have questions about whether a substance is potentially toxic to your pet, you can call the Animal Poison Control Center at (855) 764-7661. They are open 24 hours a day. But if you suspect that your pet has been poisoned, call us at Danforth Animal Hospital at (405) 340-1020. We can help you or refer you to help right away.

Call Danforth Animal Hospital Today!

Danforth Animal Hospital offers cutting edge treatments for the pets you love. We can treat toxic ingestion and do complete lab work, all onsite. We are convenient to all of Edmond, Guthrie, and Oklahoma City. Call us at (405) 340-1020. Our offices are located at 800 E Danforth Rd, Edmond, OK 73034.