The Importance of Pet Vaccinations
Pet vaccinations are essential for preventing illnesses and helping you avoid costly treatments for preventable diseases. These vaccines are designed to activate protective immune responses. These immune responses prepare your pet's body to fend off infections from a variety of bacteria and diseases. Getting your pet vaccinated improves their quality of life by protecting your pet from deadly, highly contagious diseases. Keep your pet safe from preventable diseases at Danforth Animal Hospital.
When Should Your Pet Have Their Vaccines?
Puppy Vaccine Schedule
- 6-8 weeks: Recommended Vaccinations: Distemper, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus Optional Vaccinations: Bordetella
- 10-12 weeks: Recommended Vaccinations: DHPP (vaccines for diseases that include distemper, adenovirus (hepatitis), parainfluenza, and parvovirus) Optional Vaccinations: Leptospirosis, Bordetella
- 14-16 weeks: Recommended Vaccinations: Rabies, DHPP Optional Vaccinations: Leptospirosis
- Every 1-2 years: Recommended Vaccinations: DHPP Optional Vaccinations: Leptospirosis, Bordetella
- Every 1-3 years: Recommended Vaccinations: Rabies (law required)
Kitten Vaccine Schedule
- 8 weeks: Recommended Vaccinations: FVRCP doctor exam Optional Vaccinations: FeLV/FIV test Other Optional Treatments: Deworm
- 12-14 weeks: Recommended Vaccinations: FVRCP booster Optional Vaccinations: FeLV Other Optional Treatments: Deworm
- 15-17 weeks: Recommended Vaccinations: FVRCP final booster, Rabies Optional Vaccinations: FeLV, FIV test Other Optional Treatments: Fecal exam
Vaccinating Your Pet at Different Life Stages
Vaccinations at different life stages are essential for your pet because it keeps them safe from diseases throughout their lives. Puppies and kittens need vaccines to help them produce antibodies because the antibodies found in the mother’s milk begin to wear off, leaving the animal's immune system weak and susceptible to a variety of diseases. As your pet enters different life-stages, your pet will need vaccines to ensure he or she continues to produce antibodies to fight off infections and remain healthy.
What Vaccines Do We Offer?
At Danforth Animal Hospital, we offer a variety of options regarding preventative medicine. We offer medication that prevents your pet from catching diseases from fleas and ticks, heartworms, and helps protect against a variety of other diseases.
We are your local veterinary care experts located in Edmond, OK. We proudly provide our services to residents of Guthrie, Oklahoma City, and the surrounding areas. Call us today at (405) 340-1020 to learn more about pet vaccines and how we can help keep your pet safe.